Wines of Germany maken twee nieuwe "Riesling Fellows" bekend
Wines of Germany announces two new 'Riesling Fellows'
The Riesling Fellowship was proud to be joined last night by top German Riesling producers and members of the UK and international trade for a gala dinner at Vintners’ Hall in London. The evening, held to celebrate the ten year anniversary of ‘Generation Riesling’ (a group of young, innovative German wine producers who act as ambassadors for the dynamism that is currently taking place within the German wine industry), saw the announcement of two new members to the Riesling Fellowship. This year’s winners are Paul Grieco, New York, USA and Albert de Jong, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, recognised for their dedication and passion for German Riesling.The dinner, hosted by The German Wine Institute and Wines of Germany in the presence of the Acting Head of Economic Affairs from the German Embassy Stefan Kordasch, was preceded by a tasting showcasing a selection of wines from the talented Generation Riesling members. Following the tasting, a seminar was given on ‘a decade of Generation Riesling’ which featured two of the original members of Generation Riesling: Stefan Winter from Weingut Winter and Jan Eymael from Weingut Pfeffingen, as well as Alexander Pflüger from Weingut Pflüger - a current Generation Riesling member. Guests heard the presenters discuss how Generation Riesling has influenced their wines and businesses.CEO of the German Wine Institute Monika Reule said, “The Riesling Fellowship is honoured to help celebrate a decade of Generation Riesling and to thank those members of the trade whose passion and dedication has been instrumental in spreading the message of German Riesling. To date we have appointed nine fellows and we are delighted to add a further two members to the fold this year, bringing our number to 11 - a huge congratulations to the new fellows.”
For more information contact the Wines of Germany team at Phipps
Phone: 020 7759 7405
17 Exeter Street, London, WC2E 7DU
Notes to editors
- Albert De Jong is a Dutch Wine writer and specialist who has worked in the food and wine industry for over three decades. His dedication and passion saw him win the Pro Riesling award for journalism in 2010, only the second Dutch person to receive this prestigious award since its inception in 1988. Albert’s tireless efforts have helped spread the message of German Riesling to consumers and trade alike.
- A true character in the industry; Paul Grieco has lent his tireless energy and boundless enthusiasm to spreading the message of German Riesling in the USA. Winning the "Outstanding Wine, Beer or Spirits Professional" award in 2012, Paul has also run many events promoting German Riesling to consumers; in particular his “Summer of Riesling” which was first introduced in 2008. His passion and dedication have made him an industry leader.
- The Rieslings chosen for the seminar were as follows: Weingut Winter 2014 Kloppberg Riesling GG, Weingut Pfeffingen 2014 Weilberg Riesling GG, Weingut Pflüger 2014 Herrenberg Terrassen Riesling
- The Riesling Fellows of 2013 were: Jancis Robinson OBE MW, David Motion, Iris Ellmann, Hugh Johnson OBE, Nigel Blundell and Freddy Price.
- The Riesling Fellows of 2014 were: Sebastian Thomas, Hew Blair and Stuart Pigott
- Generation Riesling producers featured in the tasting were as follows: Privatkellerei Hirsch, Weingut Emmerich-Koebernik, Weingut Jesuitenhof, Weingut Karl-Heinz Gaul, Weingut Max Müller, Weingut Mehling, Weingut Pflüger, Weingut Rieger, Weingut Tobias Rickes, Weingut Weigand